Sunday 11 January 2009

Contessa cupcakes via Moore Wilsons



A couple of days ago when at Moore Wilsons I picked up a few cupcakes to share with a friend and D. Moore Wilsons is like a wholesale/trade specialty store. They also have a fresh part where they sell fresh and gourmet foods, they also sell baked goods brought in from other bakeries. These cupcakes were baked by a bakery called "Contessa" I'm guessing they only do wholesale as I've never heard of them.

These cupcakes were OK - but far from awesome. I had to guess with the flavours as the assistant couldn't tell me what they were - I guess that is what happens when they aren't baked in store).



Chocolate/chocolate. I think this was the best but not amazing. The cake was quite moist and light but the icing was average and hard. It had definitely been frozen/chilled - as you can probably tell from the condensation on the icing.

Citrus/white chocolate. The cake was quite dense and the icing was rock hard - seemed as though it had been frozen/chilled. Too dense for my liking and a wee bit dry.

Vegan Carrot (this one had a sign). I didn't enjoy this at all - but D did. The icing was tasteless and the cake tasted kinda floury to me. I like carrot cake to be moist and rich - which this was not.

Vanilla/pink coconut icing. The cake wasn't as dense as the white chocolate one - but still far from light and fluffy. The coconut icing was OK (tasted a bit like coconut ice) but wasn't fresh tasting. Again - suspect the freezer!

All in all, I was quite disappointed. I like the idea of a Wellington bakery that sells amazing cupcakes. Though, as D pointed out, I wouldn't eat them - so am I really missing anything. They do look pretty. I'd rather bake my own thanks.

I've had a pretty relaxing weekend, and haven't done much at all. I got a couple of books from the library which I've already read. Its going to be full on week at work so I wish I'd been a wee bit more productive. Such is life.

Now its bedtime! Only a few hours before I wake up for work!

xxxM

No comments: