Wednesday 31 December 2008

baking with a buddy


I had this week off work and I planned to do lots of baking but it didn't quite end up as planned. I ended up looking after a friend's daughter, so it wasn't the most conducive environment for the kind of baking I had planned, but still we managed to have some fun.

K and I decorated some gingerbread men and xmas trees, and baked a banana cake for my neighbour - with chocolate icing. K got a wee bit carried away with her decorating and some of the gingerbread had more icing than biscuit!

We made extra banana cake mixture so we could also make a small cake for D and some cupcakes for K to take home. The cake was extra moist and bananaery so we didn't even ice them.


The baking was Monday, we went to Wellington Zoo yesterday. Sadly my camera died just as we arrived at the zoo so I don't have photos of all the animals we saw (haha!) but we did have a great time. K got to feed (and get slobbered on by) a giraffe, we met Tahi - the 1-legged Brown kiwi, and generally enjoy the beautiful sunny day.

here is a pic from my last Zoo visit:
Photobucket

It was the first time at the zoo that I've actually made an attempt to go to all the guided talks. The talks were good - and I was pleasantly surprised that every Guide talked about only using FCS (Forest Stewardship Council) approved wood. Apparently, all construction at the zoo uses approved wood to ensure the wild habitats aren't being destroyed to provide the wood and paper products. To be honest, I think it went over most people's heads - they were too busy keeping an eye on their kids in the hot sun. I'd like to be more environmentally responsible in such things, I hate to think where some of our wood products come from!

D and I were planning to go camping tomorrow (after I work tonight ~ urgh!) but I've just realised I'm on call for work, so going too far out of Wellington probably isn't a very good idea. We're still going to look for a campsite very close to the city (with cell coverage) but its likely we'll be staying home! If our backyard was flat - we could camp at home! hehe.

Photobucket

I hope wherever you are, you are enjoying beautiful sunshine and a happy holiday season.

xxx M

No comments: